Monday, May 17, 2010

Catch Phrase

Have you heard of the game called "Catch Phrase" ? It's a game where there's usually two teams of people competing and there is a word that you need to have your team guess by giving them clues so that you can pass the game device (its' like a mini computer) to the next person before the buzzer (timer) goes off. Whoever is caught holding the device looses and the other team gets a point. Since Sydney can now read, we were both playing it by ourselves -- couple of days ago. On one of my turns, my word was "Grape Soda". So, I started giving clues to Sydney by saying...

"it's a purple round fruit and it comes in bunches".... and Sydney said "Grapes". Then I continued to try and get her to guess the word "soda".... so I said "it's a drink that has lots of bubbles and fizz in it and very sweet and mommy doesn't usually like you to drink much of this".... and Sydney immediately shouted out " Carbonated drink ".

My jaw just dropped..... wondering how on earth she knew what a carbonated drink was. Of course, I quickly went on to say, "yes...but another word for it is ? "..... she couldn't guess.... So I ended up telling her the answer was Soda. She was disappointed for not knowing the correct answer but I tried to cheer her up and encourage her that I was so proud that she knew the word "carbonated" AND that was a better word than Soda. I don't think she was impressed like I was.

No comments: