Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Funny story about "SPACE"


I was getting ready today to go for a baby shower and had a lot on my mind. Caleb wasn’t feeling well so I put him down for a mid-morning nap to get some extra rest and then decided to jump in the shower. Sydney wanted to play a computer game but I told her she had to wait till I was done with my shower. As soon as she heard the tap get turned off in the bathroom, she came running to the bathroom to see if I was ready for her to play her game. I repeatedly told her “not yet” and told her to wait. While I was combing my hair in the bedroom, she came in and complained that I was taking too long. It had been a long week and part of me needed her to be patient and part of me just needed some space to be by myself to get ready, to think of what all I needed to do for the day.

So, I turned to Sydney and said “Sydney, you’re going to have to wait a little longer AND you need to give Mommy some space”.

Sydney looked at me with a confused look – looked around the room and said “but mommy, there is lots of space for you and me in here”.

I thought to myself, I’m not even going to try and explain this to a 4 year old who cannot wait any longer.

I had to write this one down and maybe someday when she’s a teenager and she tells me that she needs her space, I’ll have to remind her of this line she once said and see what she thinks of that!

No comments: